Friday, April 16, 2010

Get Creative

What is creativity? Are artists the only creative people in the world? Not really. Creativity is all about coming up with new ideas, thinking and exploring. You might think that you are not someone who is regularly struck with brilliant ideas. Sometimes putting yourself in a new environment can help, but is that enough? It’s like sitting under an apple tree expecting to be struck with an apple and have a Isaac Newton “aha!” moment. If you are really lucky then it might just work but if you are like me then here are a few things I did to get out of the cubicle and think outside the box

Be a Rebel
As much as I believe in techniques and rules, I also believe in free uninhibited expression.While an Artist needs to know his/her craft its sometimes important to break rules.So if you are one of the meticulous, plan everything in advance, gets scared with the slightest of change person. Then its time you shed your old habits and try to get more spontaneous.

                                Love arranged_a page from my journal


Take Risks
If you want to learn to swim, you need to just dive in the water and trust it. Thats what creativity is all about.Take the risk of opening your heart and let the feelings flow out. Let go of control and let the brush and colors guide you. Its tough... but who said it would be easy, but I promise it will be worth it.

Address the white                                                                                      
If you find the starkness of white paper or canvas intimidating. Get Rid of it!! If you use Acrylic or oil you can always bring the white in later. I always paint my canvas in one single color as soon as I get them home.

                           Its complicated _ a page from my journal


Don't be too quick to judge
The problem is we are our worst critic. If you are unhappy with what you just created, leave it aside for sometime and get back to it on a later date. And if it still doesn't do it for you. You can always cover the whole thing with white and start over or not.

Follow your Intuition
Learn to trust what your heart says, it never lies.
And remember there is no right or wrong way to creativity... you can get there using a lot of different roads.

Doodle, Doodle and Doodle
Allow things to happen by accident, I often come up with interesting shapes and patterns when I doodle.
You can start a creative journal, think of what you are trying to accomplish abstractly. Look around you for inspiration. Doesn’t matter if your answer is ridiculous… the goal is to get yourself into a new frame of mind.

That said a one time effort will not bring home the prize. The key is CONSISTENCY!.

P.S- The images in this Blog post are pages from my Altered Book Journal. Both these pages inspired bigger pieces that I am working on now. Stay tuned to see the transition and to read more about altered books in future posts.

5 comments:

  1. I like that you just dove into this topic head on--and illustrated the subheadings with pictures of your work. I am curious--you've mentioned leaving cubicle world and becoming an artist--I'd like to hear about your rebel side that assisted you in the transition:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah, I was a financial analyst and one day I just decided to follow my dream and become a full time artist. I am a self taught artist and learnt to trust my instincts follow my brush. Everything that I wrote about is something I did myself to break out from the mundane yet secure job to a life of artistic adventure... its tough but its worth every single minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yoita,
    I love the art you've shared in this post. I'd love to know more about these pieces! Is there any way you can put captions or tell us more about them?

    I'm intrigued! I'm curious! I love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Cynthia!
    I edited the post to add some caption and a footnote. These pieces are actually pages from an altered book journal. I use old unwanted books as idea books. I experiment on it and then some inspire more than others. I plan to write some posts about these in future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have said some important ideas here that we all need to be reminded of from time to time. Thank you!

    I always enjoy seeing your art. Fascinating journal page- very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog