Thursday, May 27, 2010

Featured Joy

One time or another you must have wished that a day had more than 24 hours. I make that wish often and then later look back to see what I could've done to make 24 hours seem enough. The answer is always very simple.
                At the Studio, planning the arrangement.


I am the Featured Artist for the month of June at the Artist Cooperative Gallery of Westerly, RI. And I am very very excited about it and have been looking forward to it for the last couple months. This is my first featured show. With the excitement came a lot of anxiety, stress and lots of learning. 
I am sure all seasoned artists have this figured out and have a system in place. But if you are new to the Art Business like me, you might find this post useful. 


I almost immediately learnt that it needs to be PLANED well in advance. Even if you think you will have some new paintings its important that all the work you hang are in sync. Its always nice to have a common thread of thought or intention flowing through the collection. All the work that I am hanging are my meditative pieces. They are all about my quest to find myself. 


FRAMING is a very important part of your work. Although it doesn't seem very important the right frame can enhance your work and a bad frame can bring down the the colors completely. So give framing considerable thought. And remember most arts and crafts stores do not have a wide variety available. You will need to order them online... and it brings me back to lesson number one: PLAN!
I had to drive for an hour to providence, then run to the nearest Home Depot to get all the framing supplies together. To order frames online I personally like using Franken Frames.


It was just not my day.. I needed a frame for a 24X48 painting and the framing stores were out of just that size. I rushed to the nearest Home Depot to get Wood panels and make my own frame, only to realize that I had no clue how to do it. One of my friends was kind enough to take the time out to show me how to. If you haven't already its nice to LEARN HOW TO USE YOUR TOOLS, I finally did. Yes, I used a hand drill for the first time ever and feel very proud about the frame I assembled.


But the most important lesson that I learnt was the importance of GOOD FRIENDSHIPS. I am so lucky to have some fabulous friends who took time out to help me and made up for my lack of plan. Without their help I would probably still be struggling. 


I have my show hung, labelled and awaiting its opening on June 2nd. If you are in area drop by to see my work at the Artist Cooperative of Westerly; 7 Canal Street, Westerly RI. Its on display starting from May 27th through June 26th.


See you soon, Until then hoping for some peace and quiet or may be another adventure. Whatever it is you will definitely get to read about it, so stay tuned.



6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the show! The pieces look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Joyita! It is very exciting to have your first show. Your work is beautiful and needs to be shared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice, Joyita!

    Congrats on the wonderful show and best of luck with it. I hope you enjoy looking at your work in a new way as it hangs all together at the gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your show, Joyita! Oh, the trials and tribulations in learning to prepare. I think it is impossible to anticipate everything that needs to happen ahead of time. There are always surprises. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all :)

    Lynn... thats true.. I guess each time is a new experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyita,

    Congratulations on your show--AND all that you've learned putting it together. The wall shot of your pieces looks great. As Lynn says, each time is a discovery despite all one's good intentions. I've certainly been finding that out myself!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog